Food and Nutrition at key stage 3 and key stage 4 in Stoke High school will equip students with the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. Our curriculum will encourage students to cook and enable them to make informed decisions about a wide range of further learning opportunities and career pathways as well as develop vital life skills that enable them to feed themselves and others affordably and nutritiously, now and later in life.
At Key stage 4 students will engage in all aspects of the Hospitality and Catering industry. They delve into and proficiently explore the key features of the Hospitality and Catering industry such as;
- Establishments that offer Hospitality and catering
- Working rights and employment law
- Development of the Kitchen and front of house roles
- Knowledge of how a proficient Hospitality and catering business runs including all Health and safety elements.
Through all Key Stages students will:
- Demonstrate effective and safe cooking skills by planning, preparing and cooking using a variety of food commodities, cooking techniques and equipment.
- develop knowledge and understanding of the functional properties and nutritional content of food and drinks
- understand the relationship between diet, nutrition and health, including the physiological and psychological effects of poor diet and health.
- understand the economic, environmental, ethical, and socio-cultural influences on food availability, production processes, and diet and health choices
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of functional and nutritional properties, sensory qualities and food safety considerations when preparing, processing, storing, cooking and serving food
- understand and explore a range of ingredients and processes from different culinary traditions (traditional British and international), to inspire new ideas or modify existing recipes